Inventory and restoration of the windmills
Dating of the building: 15th - 19th century.
Applicant: Friends of the Mills of Mallorca Association.
Reason for the award :
For the collective effort for the recovery of the historic windmills in Mallorca.
The mills of Mallorca, condemned to abandonment and destruction for decades, have been rescued from oblivion and restored thanks to the intervention of the public administrations and the Association of the Mills of Mallorca.
There are references to Mallorca’s flour mills since 1329. They are scattered throughout the island, sometimes in unexpected places, such as on the El Jonquet Hill, near the busy Palma promenade. These were saved thanks to the press campaigns promoted in the 1960s by the painter from La Mancha Gregorio Prieto and the founder of Hispania Nostra Juan Ramírez de Lucas. Years later, the involvement of the Palma City Hall was crucial for the restoration of the mills lined up in Calle Industria. In recent times, this role has been played by the Association of the Mills of Mallorca. The association has carried out the monumental task of making an inventory of all the surviving mills on the island, laying the foundations for the necessary restorations. The last mills rescued have been that of the Caseta Blanca, in the Palma airport, and those of Potritxol, an area formerly known as El Molinar.