Museum of the roman villas of Almenara-Puras

Medal/Award in the category Conservation in the year 2004.

Dating of the building: 4th century.

Applicant: Roberto Valle González.

Reason for the award :

For the exemplary planning and execution methodology to safeguard an extraordinary testimony of the heritage of Roman times, as well as for the harmonious integration of the museum in the landscape and for its didactical presentation to the public.

Restoration work in the town, discovered in 1887, brought to light hundreds of metres of high-quality mosaics, which can be visited today thanks to modern museography.

The Museum of the Roman Villas of Almenara – Puras has its origin in the discovery of a Roman site from the 4th century, in 1887. The remains are found to correspond to a luxurious villa consisting of thirty rooms, in the style of rustic Roman houses of that period. After that, all the excavations in progress were abandoned. Faced with this situation, the Valladolid Provincial Council decided to acquire the archeological site. With a five-year Master Plan, its wall structures, mosaics, and paintings were restored. The result was the excavation of almost 5,000 square metres, the recovery of 605 square metres of mosaics, 365 of opus signinum, and 345 of walls and paintings.

Today, a visitor’s centre has been built on the site and is presented to the visitor through an elevated walkway, under a roof of lacquered sheet metal and Corten steel and a latticework of iroko wood and glass. Later, the only Spanish museum on Roman villas was founded, with an interesting display organized in six sections: A typical Roman village and styles of villas; The economic activity in the Villas; Villas and nature; Leisure; Religion; Twilight glow. The museum delves into aspects of rural Latin culture and agricultural activity in the Roman Empire.

Others awards in Castilla y León: