Rehabilitation of el Capricho de Gaudí in Comillas
Dating of the building: 1885.
Applicant: El Capricho de Gaudí, S.A.
Reason for the award :
For the excellent restoration of Antonio Gaudí’s masterpiece and the innovations adopted for visitors.
El Capricho, the jewel of Gaudí’s first creative period, was restored conscientiously following the original project of the great Catalan architect.
Of the different constructions of the great Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí in Cantabria, El Capricho is the most authentic. The building was built between 1883 and 1885 as a mansion for a wealthy bourgeoisie, who gave the artist from Tarragona complete creative freedom. Trencadís, a typical tile used by Gaudí in some of his best-known works such as Park Güell or Casa Batlló, is the finishing chosen for the walls of the main building and the tower of oriental reminiscence.
The purchase of the house by its second owner led to the demolition of the greenhouse in 1915, and its replacement by an attached pavilion converted into a bedroom. Finally, the listing in 1969 as a historic-artistic monument endowed the Capricho with administrative protection against new possible alterations. The third owner, who chose to transform it into a restaurant, showed exquisite respect for the conservation and recovery of the property. The pavilion was knocked down and the greenhouse rebuilt according to the original plan. Likewise, all those elements that altered Gaudí’s original idea were removed, and the damaged roofs and facades were replaced.