Restoration and rehabilitation of the Isabel II Canal reservoir tower
Dating of the building: 1911.
Applicant: Javier Alau Massa, Antonio Lopera Arazola.
Reason for the award :
For the work of transformation of the first elevated tank in Madrid into the current Canal de Isabel II Exhibition Hall.
Europa Nostra awarded the transformation of an old water tank into an exhibition hall, considered one of the best examples of industrial architecture in the city of Madrid.
The community of Madrid decided to rehabilitate an old disused warehouse tower as an exhibition centre. The warehouse itself was already one of the best examples of industrial architecture in the city of Madrid. Designed by the engineers Martín Montalvo, Luis Moya, and Ramón Aguinaga, the deposit tower has two bodies: the main structure built in brick that supports the upper metal tank covered with zinc. The main structure has eight large pillars and holds a drum also made of brick; there is no shortage of decorations with Romanesque and even Mudejar resonances. The building required the complete renovation of its interior to transform the old archive rooms into modern exhibition rooms with modern lighting, ventilation, and elevator access. The highlight of the project was the transformation of the tank into a circular auditorium.