Restoration of Segovia Square de Navalcarnero
Dating of the building: 17th century.
Applicant: Community of Madrid, General Directorate of Historical Heritage.
Reason for the award :
For the exemplary nature of its restoration.
The project of the Plaza Mayor is only the first part of a larger project that consists in restoring several hundred caves, one located below the Town Hall building, historically used as underground presses.
Navalcarnero is a town located 30 kilometers southwest of Madrid, at the intersection of the road between the capital and the Autonomous Community of Extremadura. It was affiliated to Segovia from 1499 to 1627, the year in which it bought its freedom and became a Royal Town. Hence, the main square bears the name of that city, and its aqueduct appears on its shield. The square, with a rare polygonal structure, had its façades plastered for more than two centuries until the award-winning restoration works restored the richness of its original colours. Thus, the careful restoration has managed to bring back ten colour tones that formerly decorated the two-storey houses with their characteristic Castilian portico. Historical colours have been rescued, ranging from blue to russet, through four varieties of cream, including the yellow and red of a screen-printed façade.