Restoration of the palace of the Counts of Sástago
Dating of the building: 1571.
Applicant: Government Delegation in Zaragoza.
Reason for the award :
For the exhaustive refurbishing work to restore the palace to its original design since this had been exceedingly altered by the many and varied reforms to accommodate the many functions that the palace had throughout its history.
This palace, a prototype of a palace from the Aragonese Renaissance, was only saved from demolition when it was bought in 1981 by the Government Delegation in Zaragoza.
Constructed between 1571 and 1573, the Palace of the Counts of Sástago is the first significant Renaissance building in the city of Zaragoza. For centuries it was the residence of the Bourbons and Habsburgs as they passed through the capital of Aragon. Like so many other buildings, the palace was greatly affected by destruction during the War of Independence, when it was used for military purposes. In the 20th century, it was the Zaragoza casino before becoming a bank.
Threatened by total ruin, the palace was on the verge of being demolished in 1971, and only the mobilization of a group of architects saved the building from destruction. With its purchase in 1981 by the Government Delegation in Zaragoza, its extensive restoration was ensured. The works, begun in 1982, lasted until 1986, providing the building with exhibition and concert halls and recovering the original beauty of the Renaissance-style porticoed patio.