Restoration of the Santa Clara Convent
Dating of the building: 13th century.
Applicant: Regional Government of Castille and Leon.
Reason for the award :
For the excellent restoration work carried out on the building.
On this occasion, the restoration work brought to light valuable Mudejar ceilings, once covered by the architect Churriguera, as well as frescoes from the 13th to the 18th centuries, and sculptural elements from the 16th.
The restoration of the Santa Clara Convent revealed much wealth hidden for centuries. Founded in 1240, this cloistered convent, always active, was extensively renovated in the Renaissance style after suffering a great fire in the 15th century. In the 18th century, new reforms undertaken by the great Baroque architect Churriguera transformed its original appearance.
The rehabilitation brought to light valuable Mudejar coffered ceilings, covered in their day by the Spanish architect, frescoes from the 13th to the 18th centuries, and sculptural elements from the 16th. In addition to unearthing this hidden legacy, the work has adapted the architectural complex for tourist visits, installing stairs, bridges, and metal walkways that facilitate the contemplation of the coffered ceilings, as well as a panoramic viewpoint over the city. The works also focused on modernizing the dependencies of the religious community of the Clarisa nuns.