Restoration of the tower of don Borja

Santillana del Mar, Cantabria, Cantabria.
Special mention / Diploma in the category Conservation in the year 1981.

Dating of the building: 15th century.

Applicant: Santillana Foundation.

Reason for the award :

In recognition of the restoration work carried out in the main building that the Santillana Foundation has as its headquarters.

One of the first operations undertaken by the Santillana Foundation was the acquisition and restoration of the Torre de Don Borja for cultural purposes.

The Tower of Don Borja, also known as the Infanta Palace, is a tower dwelling or fortified palace from the 15th century, extended in the 16th century. It takes its name in 1844 from its original owner Francisco Borja-  his coat of arms is visible on the main façade. Attached to more modern buildings, the square tower has three floors, a hipped roof, and a large Gothic archway which opens onto the square forming an arcade. In the times of Alfonso XIII, the tower was the summer residence of the Infanta Doña María de la Paz de Borbón.

The building was acquired by the Santillana Foundation. It was restored and the furniture and objects collected by the Infanta were preserved.  To the original palatial rooms conference and exhibition rooms and a library have been added. Today the town is owned by the Santillana Foundation and managed by the Town Council.

Others awards in Cantabria: