Restoration works in the monastery of Sigena
Dating of the building: 1188.
Applicant: Aragon Regional Government.
Reason for the award :
For the effort involved in the completion of renovations, as well as for salvage work carried out on the reconstruction of this historic site.
The monastery of Sigena, royal foundation of the 12th century, was one of the few dual monasteries of its time-with both male and female communities.
Located in the proximity of Villanueva de Sigena, this monastery was the royal foundation of Doña Sancha, daughter of Alfonso VII of Castile, in 1188. It had the peculiarity of being one of the few dual monasteries of its time – with both male and female communities. The monastery suffered the historical attacks of this type of buildings in our country: confiscations, demolitions, inappropriate additions and fire during the Civil War.
Although the complex had been declared a National Monument in 1923, restoration works only began at a slow pace in 1977. In 1988, at the initiative of the Aragonese Council, reconstruction, consolidation, and rehabilitation tasks restarted. They consisted, among other projects, in laying new pavement, equipping the Chapter House with its missing roof, restoring the cloister and refurbishing its ashlar interior. The valuable murals in the Chapter House were moved to the National Art Museum of Catalonia during the Civil War.