Restoration of the monastery of San Salvador de Celanova
Dating of the building: 10th century.
Applicant: Ministry of Culture.
Reason for the award :
For the rehabilitation and readaptation of the monastery of San Salvador to its new uses, preserving its artistic and historical value.
In San Salvador de Celanova the Town Hall, the institute and one of the best examples of Mozarabic architecture coexist, the Chapel of San Miguel.
The founding of the primitive monastery of San Salvador de Celanova by San Rosendo dates back to 936. The protection of the successive kings of León and Castille made the place the most influential abbey of its time, which led to constant extensions and transformations in Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque and Neoclassicalstyles.
The small Mozarabic chapel of San Miguel is, nevertheless, the true artistic jewel of the complex. With the confiscation of 1836 and the expulsion of its monks, the monastery assumed functions of the Town Hall, barracks, salt deposit, high school, and even a correctional institution. The Ministry of Culture opted for the rehabilitation of the main areas of the complex to adapt them to their new uses, Town Hall, and institute, respecting their artistic and historical value.